Summer is proving to be busy here at the museum with visitors stopping in from Alabama, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and even more. Plus some pretty fun scavenger hunts taking place. On July 19th, the Municipal Library’s summer reading program students took a day-trip over to see us and participated in a scavenger hunt that had them hunting for artifacts both obvious and not so obvious. Not only did they do their best Indiana Jones impersonations, but the students also discovered valuable information about the ‘treasures’ they scavenged.
One of the buildings the students hunted through is the house we are featuring this week. Hold on…is that someone knocking on the door? Hello? Oh, you’d like to know about the Ranch House? What a coincidence, that’s the building we’re featuring this week. The Ranch House was built by Roy Herold on his homestead north of Stanmore in 1912. It served as the family home for many years. The house was still in very good condition when it was brought into Hanna, and for a number of years it was used as a residence. In 1968, Mr. Shields donated it to the Historical Society. It was moved onto the grounds becoming a valuable addition to the village. The Historical Society did some minor repairs by adding a porch and furnishing it with artifacts typical of life in the homestead era. As well, there are numerous flowers now welcoming visitors. On the porch there is also a collection of blue chairs, perfect for storytelling sessions and tea. To learn more about the Ranch House and the intriguing stories that come with it, pop on down and request a tour of our museum.
To learn more about the Ranch House and the intriguing stories that come with it, pop on down and request a tour of our museum.
Hanna Museum Summer Employee
(Published in the July 26th, 2017 edition of the Hanna Herald.)